The Comfort Zone By DavisMcDavis

Interests: Sexy Jake Shears. I think it's good for a man to have a hobby, and Jake Shears is my hobby. I also like making soap and painting, preferably while listening to the Scissor Sisters. Expertise: Warholiana, Bernhardeliana, Sedarisata (both David and Amy), and Queen Amidaliana, Jake Shears-iana, and other similar party trivialities and banter. My Xanga blog (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=davismcdavis) doesn't Google very well so I'm trying to post things here also. Why not?

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

In Which I Am Seated Near The Nearly Famous

This weekend I went to see They Who Shall Not Move Their Arms with E and his friend, Nickelstein Goldman. Seated behind us was the extended family of the male lead for the show, which became apparent when every single armless tappity-tap from the male lead dancer resulted in a series of hoots and hollers from the row directly behind us. I didn't mind too much, though, because I've always liked a man who is quite literally, though most likely not metaphorically, light in his loafers, and he was a handsome fellow.

The show itself is ten years old, and it bears a far-too-close resemblance to the black-lit-and-fluorescent-background extravaganza that was the fomer Siegfried & Roy show at the Mirage, which E and I happened to catch during what turned out to be one of the final few months of the show. (I think you might have heard, but that show was shut down due to a dispute with one of the cast members and the male lead, Roy).

Circling the venue before the show started were set of ushers carrying that most glamorous of beverages, champagne in a plastic cup with a strawberry! That's almost as glamorous as a strawberry daquiri with Redi Whip. Almost. When served by an usher who is wearing a stocking cap? GLAMMER to the MAX!

On Sunday I went to The Nomadic Museum with a group of people. NKOTB and I formed a splinter group - he thought the music was "too Yanni" and left while I was quite literally chilling and attempting to watch the accompanying film, which was being shown at the end of the museum under two of the four heat lamps in the museum, which created a sort of shivery log jam.

I don't know what it is about museums, but they sometimes seem to have absolutely no clue how to deal with crowds, or lines, and seem completely flummoxed when they appear anywhere other than the entrance. I mean, if you're so artistic and clever and so on, can't you please at least realize that if you show a 45-minute film at at the end of what is essentially an extremely long and chilly hallway, and you place the only seats and heat in the entire place at the end of that hallway, and you let in about forty-bijillion museum goers, the result is not a pristine and evocative experience that allows me to contemplate how the stars in the heavens are like an elephant's unblinking eye? Instead, genius, what you've done is placed the entrance and exit in the same location, and the exhibit inside becomes quite a bit like the line to buy your entrance tickets, only colder and with better decorations.

I recommend the exhibit, but please be sure to wear a stocking cap when you go, and don't go when anyone else is there or you'll have to stand for the movie.

We went to Diner 24 for brunch, where I sat directly in a beam of sunlight, both to warm up and to flatter my eyes, which turned as blue as my frostbitten fingers when the light hit them.

As we sat down, NKOTB whispered that seated at the table behind him was a "celebrity hairstylist," though in the interest of discretion I didn't get him to clarify whether he was a hairstylist who was a celebrity, like Sally Hershberger, or if he was a hairstylist who hairstyled celebrities, in which case that could really be anyone. Anyway, so I couldn't recognize the guy, but I noticed he was showing his table mate, who had her back to me, a glossy picture of Kristine W that he had.

"Ooh!" I thought to myself, "He must be excited - it looks like his picture of Kristine W is autographed. How nice for him!"

"Well, I don't know who he is, but his friend has a nice handbag," I said to NKOTB. (She was also seated with her back to me, and her bag was next to her on the floor and it was sort of a bright spring green color and looked happy, so even though it wasn't Dior, I thought it was nice.)

Then we talked for like an hour, and had our brunch and it wasn't until quite a long time later, when the celebrity hairstylist was getting up to leave, and his friend was picking up her nice handbag, that I realized that the reason he was showing the woman with the nice handbag the photograph of Kristine W was because she was Kristine W.

And finally, I was sad to learn the re-release of The Passion of the Christ actually has less footage than before, so it will not be released under the title I was hoping for, The Passion Of The Christ : Uncut.

That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home