The Comfort Zone By DavisMcDavis

Interests: Sexy Jake Shears. I think it's good for a man to have a hobby, and Jake Shears is my hobby. I also like making soap and painting, preferably while listening to the Scissor Sisters. Expertise: Warholiana, Bernhardeliana, Sedarisata (both David and Amy), and Queen Amidaliana, Jake Shears-iana, and other similar party trivialities and banter. My Xanga blog (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=davismcdavis) doesn't Google very well so I'm trying to post things here also. Why not?

Friday, January 28, 2005

Glitter Sunshine Fantasy Babydoll Fluffernutter Unicorn

I'm a little worried that Tori Amos might be slipping into puffy sticker territory (aka - The Land of Mariah) with the title of her new album, The Beekeeper, and the first single, Sleeps With Butterflies. She avoids it, however, with the truly inspired and totally nutty idea including a package of wildflower seeds with the super-duper limited edition deluxe poster combo CD/DVD pack system.


Sometimes these "limited edition" things get me annoyed - can't I just buy the plain album without having to grow flowers (!) on top of it, or being forced to show up at the Union Square Barnes & Noble on February 13th to get the companion book (?!?!) signed?


I'll be out like $50 bucks, have to read a book, do some gardening, and I bet I'll still have no idea what in the hell she's talking about. I mean, the girl's got a great voice, but I've been lost ever since the lyric, "Is she still pissing in the river now?" on her second album, Under The Pink. Perhaps some metaphors aren't meant to be decipered. Perhaps they're not metaphors. Discuss.


It's that sort of overabundance of product that turned me off of Bjork. Now don't get me wrong, I still love Bjork, but she stopped being one of my "I Need To Buy All of Her Work! ALL OF IT!"-type artistes when she started to release every darn bit of noise that's ever come out of her body as an import-only 2-CD single. I didn't have the time to track them down, and it was such an irritation when, for example, Hyperballad was split into like two CD singles, one domestic and one import, but you'd have to buy one of each because the import had the Fluke remix and the domestic had the Towa Tei remix. It meant shelling out at least $20 at Tower Records on two separate trips, since they would also release the different CDs on different days.


It made me lose respect for her until I saw that video where Bjork attacks a reporter, letting her child get whisked away on a luggage cart while she beats the crap out of some lady. She may be overmerchandised, but she's got spunk, and she's not afraid to take it out on a totally unprepared reporter who won't fight back because who's crazy enough to fight Bjork?


Anyway, the whole seed packet idea is odd, but you have to admit it's a creative way to avoid the dangers of copyright theft, as you can't have seeds dowloaded from Kazaa or Bittorrent.


And I have an update to yesterday's elevator room story: apparently the Singing Neighbor, in the course of relating the roommate story to DKNY, had also included the little too-much-information nugget, "...and there's a lot of room up there in that elevator room - I mean, I've been up there with three guys and an Aerobed!"


Hee hee.


That is all.


UPDATE: There are lovely new photos of Amy Sedaris on IMBD. In this photograph, she shows her whimsical side.


THAT is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home